Saturday, May 15, 2010
The first day, after the subject was chosen I decided to do baby hummingbirds, hidden in the leaves.
I remember as a child watching a humming bird's nest, and then the tiny tiny little birds arrived. The nest was the size of the an egg. I watched the parents feed their little ones - the Mother was so busy -- back and forth all day- such a busy little lady bird.
The idea wouldn't go away and I decided to go for it.
I tried different fabrics for the tree trunk but kept coming back to the brown. I cut out many many leaves and put them away to 'wait' for the babies. I drew the little nest with the babies' heads peeking out of the nest. I cut it out in grey, and placed it on timtex. Added some rope, little pieces of
yarn a bit of eyelash yarn for the nest. I then thread painted the birds and placed the whole nest on the branch of the tree. I then added many many leaves. (I fused dark green fabric with lighter green fabric for the leaves and cut them out. I also used some leaves I had bought a few years ago to give it a bit of life.
I decided to paint the hummingbird mother -- and fused it to some timtex to give it a 3 d
look. I had thread painted a hummingbird but I liked the effect better with the painted
I edged it with satin stitch, and will add some beading to the piece this week. This was fun for me. I also worked on a manipulated piece but couldn't figure out how to quilt it . I will put a picture in later. The second picture of my reveal gives you a close up of the nest and babies.
I am looking forward to our next challenge -- I have been fooling around with photo shop and have done some interesting manipulations. So, even though my first reveal was n't a huge reach, I did try some new things. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the reveals.
I am so glad we started this group! It is something to look forward to and I am now wondering which challenge will be chosen for #2. Shirley