My inspiration for this piece was this giant anemone (~ 24” in diameter)
Welcome to My Secret Garden...
I consider the two Humu’s my personal tour guides of the reef. They spent the entire afternoon escorting me around. I believe they thought I was a giant version of them…my mask is a teal color…along with the white rash guard….
I am a newbie to the quilting art world, so my goal of trying something new was easy. The entire project was a learning process, and SO much fun! This is my first landscape and my first attempt at appliqué. My final goal was to incorporate different textures into this piece:
- The water is a satin piece embedded with beads and glitter (it came that way).
- The anemone is crushed velour with eyelash trim for the tentacles.
- I added Angelina fibers to the fins on the Humus. (always wanted to try it…next time I’ll read the directions)
- The brain coral was made from a chenille yarn with my version of trapunto to give it depth.
- The sand is a microfiber suede.
- The background reef is painted canvas.
I did not bind the edges as I have decided to build a frame (and distress the finish) to mount it in. The weight of the anemone and coral need to be stabilized.
I am excited to find out what our next challenge is!